There was news other day that Indian Railways going to offer on line booking of retiring room at major stations. This is a step towards improving passenger amenities.
Living and leaving from the Railway Stations after the completion of days work is desired by most of the passengers. But as there is no transparency in booking system, no one was taking interest in approaching rail authorities for retiring room. Even for retiring room booking, the general feeling is that you need approach to book such accommodation. Now with this facility available online and marketing done successfully, it will be a win-win situation both for passenger as well as Railways.
Indian Railways shall consider following add-on in the system to help the passengers
- The check out time shall be 1200 hrs during the day and not at 0000 hrs in the night as prevailing for officer’s rest housing booking as well.
- Use of retiring room is for the purpose of taking few hours ready-rest-breakfast therefore the booking shall be on an hourly basis. The tariff shall also be for a half / quarter of a day.
- Railways do not have standard retiring facilities and varies considerably from station to station. This is mainly due to local interest. It is important either to standardize the facilities as in the case of Hotels or provide photographs and provisions/facilities in the room online to avoid any setback at the time of checking in.
- Railways to consider facilities for business travellers for bed-breakfast or bath-breakfast-locker combo deal.
- Checking shall be on line to confirm that the retiring room is occupied. On line occupation and vacant position shall available for the person to see personally.
Visit IRCTC page for on-line booking of the retiring room http://www.railtourismindia.com/cgi-bin/dev1.dll/irctc/services/rrhome.do and you will be able to know booking procedure of retiring room at the link given below http://www.railtourismindia.com/rr/reteiring_room_help.htm. A detailed procedure as shared by one of our reader is as follows:
When this is done, Indian Railways shall also consider on line booking of Officers Rest House as it is not possible for Railways officers to get the booking done even when there is vacancy at the rest house.
You may also like:
- Indian Railways begins E-catering on trial – a small step…
- Head-on-Generation for powering the running coach
- Climbing stairs at Railway Station is nightmare for many
- Are Special or Premium Trains earning satisfactorily in Indian Railways?
- Where has 150 millions Indian Railway passenger gone?
- Cooking by Induction Heating for Indian Railways